The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2014 (S.I. 2014/255) have been approved and it amends the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 (S.I. 2010/675).
The key amendments include:
- the removal of the requirement on local authorities to maintain duplicate public registers of environmental permits;
- a requirement on Material Recovery Facilities to sample the quality of their input and output material streams;
- the removal of the requirement for waste businesses to have to secure planning permission before an environmental permit can be issued;
- the provision of a registration scheme for low risk discharges to groundwater from some Ground Source Heating and Cooling systems; and
- an introduction of further simplification measures applicable to Small and Medium sized businesses.
The amending Regulations can be viewed at http://www.rp-alba.com/resources/EPRAmendment2014.pdf